Department of Textile Industries
Championed by Mr Obadiah Nussey, an eminent textile merchant, and funded by the Worshipful Company of Clothworkers’, the Department of Textile Industries and Dyeing building of the Yorkshire College was designed by Alfred Waterhouse, opening in December 1880. The College became the University of Leeds in 1904. Further stages of building followed until 1928, including the addition of the new Department of Colour Chemistry and Dyeing. Art Classes were included from 1887 to 1921.
The departments included lecture rooms, workshops and weaving sheds, laboratories, drawing studios and a museum:
- View photographs of buildings and interiors from the Clothworkers’ Buildings (Departments of Textiles Industries, Colour Chemistry, Dyeing and Art) (circa 1900-1928)
The Department was first headed by father and son John and Roberts Beaumont, the first Professors, who had expert knowledge of the technology associated with the woollen and worsted trades, and also advocated the study of contemporary design. The Beaumonts also originated the collection of early glass photographic plates for teaching, and, in 1892, the establishment of a teaching museum.
See more information on the archival documents and photographs from the Department of Textile Industries.