Department of Textile Industries Collection
ULITA holds a small paper and photographic archive of the Department of Textile Industries, ranging from the 1880s until the 1970s, including volumes of group and interior photographs. Some items may relate to the Department of Colour Chemistry and Dyeing.
The collection held at ULITA consists of approximately 260 items or groups of items. At present approximately 10% has been catalogued.
The classification of items are divided into:
- Artefacts e.g. Invitations, membership cards, syllabus cards
- Manuscripts and Pattern books e.g. students notebooks and pattern books, letters, lecture notes, accounts, exam papers
- Photographs e.g. groups* (annual group photographs from 1890s to early 1960s), interiors, exteriors, machinery
- Publications e.g. Journals, exhibition/open day programmes, catalogues, press cuttings/articles, prospectuses, conference papers, reports, academic papers
*Individuals in group photographs may be identified where photographs are annotated.
Related to this collection: plans are also underway to list, and ultimately catalogue, a large collection of early glass photographic plates produced for teaching in the Department, originated by the Professors Beaumont and Barker. Facsimilie copies of the three slide indexes have been produced, which include descriptions and photographic prints of the plates.
- The collection has been numbered and a list is available on request.
- Search highlights of the collection via our online catalogue.