In 1907 Margaret Murray, a noted Egyptologist, donated a collection of specimens of Egyptian mummy cloths. At her suggestion Sir Flinders Petrie, who was about to unroll two 4000 year old mummies, also donated specimens of the fragments. This was augmented by a collection of Egyptian children’s clothing (comprising of two caps and six tunics), dating from the Mamluk period (1250 – 1517). These were presented to the University by the eminent Egyptologist Professor P.E. Newberry in 1933.